From the very origin of this institution, special emphasis has been laid on the enrichment of library, and increasing its resourcefulness. The college library, along with the college, got its affiliation in 1946. With the support of Mr. B. G. Rao and his better-half Mrs. Amiya Rao, the first principal of this college, and the educationists of this region, the college library began a glorious journey that has remained intermittent till now. It was in 1948 that the building of the college got shifted from Begamkuthi to Barrack Square and the library was named ‘Amiya Granthagar’. In July 1956 the college, along with its library was shifted to its present building. However, because of the dearth of a separate library building, the small room of the then Communicative English Dept. had been used as the library hall.
During the 60’s the northern and southern blocks of the college building were integrated and the hall room in the ground floor of the two-storied building built on the western side of the college (presently room no. 13) came to house the library.
Later on, with the financial aid of UGC a separate library building was erected. On 6th September 1964 honorable education secretary of West Bengal Dr. Dhirendra Mohan Sen inaugurated the newly built college library. This library section on the ground floor consisted of three rooms- the first room on the northern side was used as the library office; the second one was used as the main stack; the third room was used as the reading room.
Gradually, the institution has undergone great extension. Consequently, the quantity of books and articles has also increased greatly, and the reading room gradually got transformed into second stack room. In 1992 with the grant-in-aid of UGC the second floor of the library building was erected and consequently the library got its present form and entity.
|Smt. Kakali Sahoo||Librarian (Associate Scale)||B.Com.(Hons.), M.L.I.Sc.||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Sri Indrajit Dey||Librarian||M.A., M.L.I.Sc.||Indrajitdey50@gmail .com|
|Smt. Sarbani Majumdar||Library Clerk||M.A., B.Ed., B.L.I.Sc.|
|Supriya Pal||Library Peon||H.S.|
|Debnath Misra||Library Peon (Casual)||M.Com.PGDIBO, O-Level,ITI(Govt.) DCHM||debnathmisra2017 @gmail.com|
|Total area of Library||712.52 sq.mt.|
|Reading space: Ground floor||19.32 sq.mt.|
|First floor||59.09 sq.mt.|
|Seating capacity: Ground floor||15|
LAYOUT OF THE LIBRARY
There are two floors in the library
The major portion of the ground floor is used as a stack room.
- The books on the following subjects are available: Economics, Geography, Environmental Science, sociology, Political Science, Sanskrit, History, Philosophy, Bengali (New collection), Zoology, Botany, Physiology, Physical Education.
- G. Section: All books of Bengali(P.G.), History(P.G.) & English(P.G.).
- Book Bank Section
- Donation section: A special collection of books donated by Founder Principal Prof. Amiya Rao, Former Principal Prof Priti Gupta, Former Principal Prof.Kamala Roy, Prof. Mery Sarker and Prof. Sachindra Nath Ghosh has been kept in the ground floor.
- Journal Section: Back vols. of all subscribed journals are available.
- Reference Section: Encyclopedia of different subjects, Books of General Interest, Dictionaries of different subjects, collections related to Murshidabad District and Berhampore Girls’ College, Album of photographs of different events, Maps, CD &DVDs are available.
- Staff Reading Room
- Office Room of Library
- Collection of year wise Question Papers for staff
- One ProLiant ML110 Gen9 Server
- of Computer : 05
- of Printer: 03
- No of Scanner: 01
- No of CCTV camera: 08
- The books on the following subjects are available: Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, English, Computer Sc., Hindi, Bengali(Old collection which includes special collections of Rabindranath Tagore)
- Journal Display Board of the current issues
- Reading room for students
- Students’ circulation counter
- Career Guidance Books and periodicals
- Open racks which consists near about 2000 books of various subject to facilitate students and staff for easy access of books in the reading room.
- Succeeding volumes of two journals (Resonance and EPW).
- Collection of year wise Question Papers , Syllabuses and Maps for students
- One Xerox machine for reprography service
- of Computer: 03
- of printer: 02
- No of Scanner: 01
- No of CCTV camera: 08
RULES AND REGULATIONS
- LIBRARY HOUR:
The library is open on all working days, from 10.00 a.m.to 5.00 p.m. (Monday to Friday) and from 10.00 a.m. to 2.00 p.m. (Saturday). During the examination period Library also remains open as usual.
- OF BOOKS THAT CAN BE ISSUED TO EACH STUDENT AT A TIME (UG):
|-||1st Sem||2nd Sem||3rd Sem||4th Sem||5th Sem||6th Sem|
- OF BOOKS THAT CAN BE ISSUED TO EACH STUDENT AT A TIME (PG):
|1st Sem||2nd Sem||3rd Sem||4th Sem|
- FINE SYSTEM:
Fine system is applicable only for students. They pay Re 1.00 as fine per working day after 14 days.
- LENDING OF BOOKS TO STUDENTS FROM BOOK BANK:
Maximum two books are issued to the willing students of all semesters, which they can keep with them till the final examination.
- LIBRARY CLEARANCE
Students have to collect clearance from library showing their library cards, at the time of collecting result of final examination. They have to return all books borrowed from library.
TOTAL COLLECTION OF THE LIBRARY
The library has 39422 vols. (including the books supplied to 19 departmental libraries). It offers open access facility. The no. of reference books is more than 500. The library now subscribes 19 journals. The no. of bound journals is more than 100. The library has subscribing e-journals and e-books through N-LIST service of INFLIBNET. It has 50 CDs/DVDs, 39 Maps and 05 Charts collection as well. Library users can use 05 computers to search OPAC (Online Public Access Catalogue), IDR (Institutional Digital Repository), e-journals, e-books and Internet resources.
Subscribed Journals And Magazines:
|1||ALL AMEEN JOURNAL OF MEDICAL SCIENCES||QUARTERLY|
|3||DOWN TO EARTH||FORTNIGHTLY|
|4||ECONOMIC & POLITICAL WEEKLY||WEEKLY|
|5||INDIAN JOURNAL OF PHYSIOLOGY& ALLIED SC.||QUARTERLY|
|7||THE ATLANTIC LITERARY REVIEW||QUARTERLY|
|8||THE INDIAN ECONOMIC & SOCIAL HIS. REVIEW||QUARTERLY|
|9||INDIAN JOURNAL OF MEDICAL RESEARCH||MONTHLY|
|10||THE INDIAN JOURNAL OF NUTRITION & DIETETICS||QUERTERLY|
|11||THE INDIAN JOURNAL OF POLITICAL SCIENCE||QUARTERLY|
|13||EDULIGHT-PEER REVIEW JOURNAL||BI-ANNUAL|
|16||NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC MAGAZINE||MONTHLY|
|20||e-RESOURCES – NLIST|
- The Times of India(English)
- The Telegraph(English)
- Sangbad Pratidin(Bengali)
- Employment News
- Shikha chakri o khela (Bengali)
Initially Windows base SOUL software developed by INFLIBNET was used as database software. Recently a transition to more robust Linux based software KOHA is initiated and being upgraded through this software. Out of 39422 books most of the usable and current books (approx 27000) have been computerized. The process of Bar-coding is going on for computer aided circulation.
IDR (INSTITUTIONAL DIGITAL REPOSITORY)
Recently, an in-house e-base repository has been developed by using the LINUX based open source software DSpace. The repository includes university question papers, university syllabi, research papers and articles of teachers, question bank of different subjects and some model answers prepared by the college teachers.
FACILITIES AVAILABLE IN THE LIBRARY
- Lending facility to students and staff members;
- Book Bank facility;
- Reference service;
- Reading Room service;
- Current awareness service;
- Career Guidance Books;
- User Education, Library Orientation;
- Bibliographic service;
- OPAC (Online Public Access Catalogue) along with Card Catalogue facility;
- Access to Internet for e-resources;
- Access to online e-journals and e-books under N-LIST;
- Wi-Fi facility;
- Reprographic service;
- Printing and scanning facility;
- Open access for books and Journals;
- Information deployment and notification service;
- IDR (Institutional Digital Repository) service;
- Guidance in project works of students and outside users; and
- Best user of the year is awarded.
|1||ManyBooks.Net Free E-Books||Click to Download|
|2||Pdf Drive.Com||Click to Download|
|3||SparkNotes.Com||Click to Download|
|4||DoaBooks.Org||Click to Download|
|5||Directory of Open Journal||Click to Download|
|6||Nptel.Ac.In||Click to Download|
|7||National Digital Library of India||Click to Download|
|8||GSI Repository||Click to Download|
|9||Encyclopedia.Com||Click to Download|
|10||Merriam-Webster.Com||Click to Download|
|11||TheFreeDictionary.Com||Click to Download|
|12||Oercommons.Org||Click to Download|