Berhampore Girls’ College was established in 1946. It is the first government sponsored college in the state of West Bengal. The institution was founded by Smt. Amiya Rao, an eminent scholar and wife of the then District Collector Sri B.G.Rao, as a seat for the advancement of women’s education and uplift in this predominantly agricultural and backward belt of the state. Smt. Rao was the first Principal of this institution and was succeeded by Smt. Preeti Gupta, who became an institution in the field of women’s education & upliftment. Today the college strives to uphold its proud heritage and continues to pursue its objective to spread higher education among the women students and inculcate in them the spirit of freedom, both economic and social.